PPO stands for Personal Protection Order. Singapore women charter is an act designed to make Singapore a safe place for women. PPO comes under this ACT. It an order issued by the court to grant protection for women against her family member who is harassing her. Securing PPO is quite a tedious process. One must need an assistance of a lawyer.
How to apply for PPO?
- You can apply personal protection order Singapore if family violence is committed/expected to be committed by a family member. The family member here refers to the spouse, ex-spouse, a father or mother, a child, a brother or sister, in-laws. In simple terms, it is a protection of a family member from an abusive family member.
- You can apply for PPO using the online platform supported by the judicial system of Singapore.
- You should attach the proof documents while applying. Proof here can any medical report that shows you are a victim of violent act or police documents if any.
- You need to log in using your SingPass Id. Make a draft application by filling in the required information.
- Although it is not mandatory to apply online, you can save time by doing so. There are family violence specialist centers that help you with this application process. You can reach out to them for completing your application.
- Your completed application will be reviewed by the judge and he may order to summon the abuser. Court charges apply here for the summon.
What PPO does?
- The order stops the abuser from committing violence against the petitioner. It also refrains the abuser from assisting anyone else to commit violence against the petitioner.
- The court officer will inform the other family member involved, about your application. IF the family member agrees to an act of violence, the judge will issue PPO.
- If the person does not agree with the allegation, then the judge will arrange for a court family specialist to speak to both of them to fix the issue. If the issue is resolved, then the judge will issue the PPO.
- If unresolved, the application will proceed to the court hearing. You may need to hire a lawyer to run the case and produce your proofs and get the PPO.
- There is no specific time limit for the PPO issued. The court will finalize it based on the facts of each case.
- It takes a maximum of 3-5 months to obtain a PPO.
- If you are not happy with the court order, you can proceed to the family court with in 14 days from the order issued.
Resisting against PPO
If the alleged family member resists the PPO, you should immediately reach out to the police.
There are fines for resisting the PPO or in some cases, the alleged person may end up with jail term.
IF everything goes well between you and the other family member you can revoke or suspend your application. The process is the same as you did for applying for PPO. You may need to attach the court order with your revoking application.
Hope this helps you to apply for personal protection Singapore. You may not necessarily need a lawyer to apply for PPO. But, they are the specialists, they ensure your applications are correct and you can successfully obtain your PPO with their help.